Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Tomorrow only...for me

    As a designer that has explored many realms of the creative arts and some in the human sciences, Media Psychology, I believe may be the most exciting yet. I became aware of the power of media and the world’s obsession with the consumption of content, my first years in college in the 80’s. Since then I have seen the planet we live on upturn, with a demand for content at an unprecedented rate.
    I am now trying to understand where all this desire may be heading and the implications to us as a society. The gold standard tools of social media, Twitter, face book, You tube and other portals have brought society to together in ways never before seen. We have and are growing, in directions we may no be able to understand just yet. I would like to believe it is for the better, but as an instructor for 14 years, I will be honest I have my doubts.(view video link below) Connected as we are, I still find a large sense of disconnect about common things. We are plagued with age-old social issues that seem to be very resilient, even in the era of social media.
   While training students for technical areas, such as web design and motion graphics, I have observed them invest large sums of time at media portals, yet some could not recite the most current news of the day. The problems of tomorrow will be deconstructed by the minds of the present, it is with this concern I hope my fears, are unfounded. 
      Having no formal background in psychology, but trained as an industrial designer, I have relied on the one thing that has saved me the most, curiosity. I believe that Media Psychology can keep that part of me stimulated. In undergraduate school, various courses in sociology, philosophy, human behavior, and human factors were taken, but the design psychology was perhaps the most intriguing to me. The area of psychology that dealt with perception was where I always seem to wonder and believe I would do the best research now. Understanding the deeper perception issues of media consumption and the relationship to enlightenment. I believe we have become very aware, yet on a personal level, we still are not in touch with the self. Can social media help us be happy with who we really are?
    The consumer use of social media and consumption of everyday goods is of the greatest concern to me. The rise of a green planet will be on the back of threads in social media. Can a world powered with social media create an efficient energy grid? Can a society enabled with social media create a smaller carbon footprint?
   It is in my observations; I have found that most people tend to use social media i.e. social media for the word, that it is… social. My goal is to still explore all media and balance the use media in all areas. I am truly only concerned with
the “information” of which may not be socially seasoned or salted. The prime directive for me is information. The tone of the information can be dry, but not biased.
   Media Psychology is an area that I have come to understand as the science that tries to examine the effects of human consumption of media and the effects of the delivery methods of media. Just a short 35 years ago, Media Psychology would not be concerned with the effects of social media; in fact, we can say that the intrusive media of decades ago laid the foundation for the explosive usage of social media today.
    The need to respond to media has allowed us to interact with others again in a profound way, which has been result of past social, political and technical issues we have faced in our daily lives. I will leave with a line that may best describe my outlook on it all, it comes from a show last fall on ABC, On October 6th the planet blacked out for 2 minutes and 17 seconds the whole world saw the future. Can social media help us see our flash-forward?





Sherry Turkle had a moment of realization


Frontline interview





her new Book
Alone Together(a must read)

They look like pros, but Digital Natives 
Mark Bauerlein Video


On October 6th the planet blacked out for 2 minutes and 17 seconds the whole world saw the future.












No comments:

Post a Comment